Mastering in General (was: RPM08 Mastering?)

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Feb 21 17:30:19 CET 2008

Hi Michael

Michael Z. - Noiseconformist wrote:
>>> The playing-live discussion is a different one:
>> I know. I just replied to your total aversion against reverb. ;-)
>
> no, its not an aversion (never said that) I don't want to have changed
> anything after I decided how the sound should be.
> (in fact I tend to use too much reverb)

Ahh, ok. I just thought that you shuddered at the thought of any reverb
on your sounds...

>> Funny enough, the last recording I've done
>> was the exact oppositive of mono: Ambisonic, hence full "3D". It's quite
>> an experience to listen to the concert again in full glory, although it
>> also means I captured all the rustling and shuffling of the audience...
>
> how many channels?

The recording itself is first order ambisonic - meaning 4 channels to
represent the sound field. At work, I play it back through a calibrated
12.1 speaker system, but I also derived a stereo version for home
listening. I might later produce a 5.1 version for DVD.

>> experience was really quite different, just because of the different
>> audiences - one of them perfectly quiet and very attentive, the other
>> one obviously a bit uneasy and restless.
>>
>> I'm getting carried away now... ;-)
>
> that's ok ;-)
> This feedback loop you describe is very important for performing live.
> An audiance like full of living deads is terrible ... for obvious reasons.

Well, if the living deads are mostly dead - meaning: quiet - I don't
mind so much when attending a classical concert, where it's all about
the music, and not so much about the social experience. I do mind about
people attending a concert and then not really listening, but disturbing
others.

Bye
Martin

--