Mastering in General (was: RPM08 Mastering?)

Michael Z. - Noiseconformist EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Feb 21 17:15:06 CET 2008

Martin N. wrote:

>> The playing-live discussion is a different one:
>
> I know. I just replied to your total aversion against reverb. ;-)

no, its not an aversion (never said that) I don't want to have changed
anything after I decided how the sound should be.
(in fact I tend to use too much reverb)

>> BTW, in SOS March08 there's a nice "Sounding off"-article about
>> mono-compatibility.
>
> Hmm, can't remember that one.

you got mail. ;-)

> Funny enough, the last recording I've done
> was the exact oppositive of mono: Ambisonic, hence full "3D". It's quite
> an experience to listen to the concert again in full glory, although it
> also means I captured all the rustling and shuffling of the audience...

how many channels?

>> Put this way, playing live is probably the only way to ensure that your
>> listeners have virtually the same listening experience (despite all the
>
> There is more to this, actually: The audience can also have a strong
> influence on the overall mood of the concert. Last summer's "Dance of
> the Spirits" project was played on two consequtive evenings. The
> experience was really quite different, just because of the different
> audiences - one of them perfectly quiet and very attentive, the other
> one obviously a bit uneasy and restless.
>
> I'm getting carried away now... ;-)

that's ok ;-)
This feedback loop you describe is very important for performing live.
An audiance like full of living deads is terrible ... for obvious reasons.

  :-) Michael.