Mastering in General (was: RPM08 Mastering?)

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Feb 21 16:27:03 CET 2008

Hi Michael

Michael Z. - Noiseconformist wrote:
>>> help!!  ;-)
>> Why? You do play your stuff live, right? Do you hand out headphones to
> everybody? ;-)

> no, not yet - but others did.
> The playing-live discussion is a different one:

I know. I just replied to your total aversion against reverb. ;-)

> BTW, in SOS March08 there's a nice "Sounding off"-article about
> mono-compatibility.

Hmm, can't remember that one. Funny enough, the last recording I've done
was the exact oppositive of mono: Ambisonic, hence full "3D". It's quite
an experience to listen to the concert again in full glory, although it
also means I captured all the rustling and shuffling of the audience...

> Put this way, playing live is probably the only way to ensure that your
> listeners have virtually the same listening experience (despite all the

There is more to this, actually: The audience can also have a strong
influence on the overall mood of the concert. Last summer's "Dance of
the Spirits" project was played on two consequtive evenings. The
experience was really quite different, just because of the different
audiences - one of them perfectly quiet and very attentive, the other
one obviously a bit uneasy and restless.

I'm getting carried away now... ;-)

Bye
Martin

--