12.1 & Audiences (was: Mastering in General (was: RPM08 Mastering?))

Michael Z. - Noiseconformist EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Feb 21 19:42:41 CET 2008

Martin N. wrote:

> Ahh, ok. I just thought that you shuddered at the thought of any reverb
> on your sounds...

well .. of course there are many clich?s that give me goosepickles :-\

>> how many channels?
>
> The recording itself is first order ambisonic - meaning 4 channels to
> represent the sound field. At work, I play it back through a calibrated
> 12.1 speaker system,

sweet!  I'd like to listen to this!!  :-)
The 12 speakers, how are they set up/situated?
Is there a standard for this?
On what did you put the recording?

> Well, if the living deads are mostly dead - meaning: quiet - I don't
> mind so much when attending a classical concert, where it's all about
> the music, and not so much about the social experience. I do mind about
> people attending a concert and then not really listening, but disturbing
> others.

Absolutely.
I can get grumpy just when one of the people next to me start skimming
through the programme.
Again, of course this entirely depends on the type of performance.
Even with the same ensemble in the same concert hall.
For instance in a concert with the Klangforum Vienna usually it's so quiet
you could hear a pin drop. But then again, they do (rather) funny pieces
as well which causes quite different reactions in the audiance.

   :-) Michael.