Amiga music-making

Jammer jammer at jammer.biz
Sun Apr 17 09:20:35 CEST 2022

On 16/04/2022 21:37, Jay Vaughan wrote:
>> Have you tried writing a Progressive Web App? It doesn't cover everything, but you can write remarkably powerful apps in React, Angular or Vue, that run and feel like a native app.
>>
>> Of course, you'll also need to write code in JavaScript or TypeScript. There is that.
>
> Sure, its ‘easy’ to write these apps. If you’re lucky they’ll still run for a year or so. Its not fun maintaining them and stopping them from falling over when some script kiddy decides he doesn’t like your politics, though. "Packages are literally remote code exec vulns in the hands of package authors."

Here's a fantastic example. I just bought Star Citizen ...

Start installing it ... it crashes early in the process, so I start it
again and it crashes again. So I start poking around.

It's a feckin Electron app, node etc.

I had to restart the installer about 15 times to get it to actually
complete. The issues have been in existence FOR YEARS according to the
community. So what to make of that?  The users seem to just make excuses
that it's "not their priority".

Are we to assume that they don't have a dedicated deployment team?
Deployment in a $450,000,000 software project that's both broken and not
a priority? What?

I dread to think of the crap that's been installed for this launcher. If
its not a priority for them, picking this tech stack and it's associated
issues is a nightmare if you aren't all over it constantly maintaining it.

--
*Jammer*
**