Does anybody use individual outs on synths?

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Wed Aug 18 22:10:12 CEST 2021

As the subject says. When Martin and Gert 😢 came to Malta, the first
thing that Martin did was pull out the 8-cable snake from my EX5. Fair
enough, those four extra outputs was perhaps not my best investment ever.

But those synths (Proteus 2000, Wavestation SR, Micro Q and EMX-1) all
have individual outs. These four alone have 18 outputs between them, and
there are another 10 for the EX5 and AN1x. My question is: are these
actually useful?

I might get an Airbase 99 somewhere in the future (today, I reluctantly
didn't accept an offer of €450 for one with the latest ROM and great
optical condition) and that thing has a silly amount of outputs – but
apparently, you cannot pan sounds over the stereo outs.

The Proteus 2000 now has three ROMs; just an hour ago I installed the
X-Lead ROM. This one would be the most likely contender to have the
extra outputs connected, to have a bit more freedom with routing and
effects.

But as said, I have no idea how well this works out in practice.

- Peter