Software Security

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Wed Aug 18 21:53:57 CEST 2021

Hey Matt,

> Does anyone here have skills or know anyone who is strong in the area
> of development around audio software anti piracy?

Not really. But is it possible for you to give more details about the
business case? Not the particulars about what you're going to do, more
high-level like "we're thinking of releasing a pure software product".
I'm asking this because there might be more than one way to approach the
issue.

As others have said, if somebody is committed to crack your software,
they will. It's just a question of whether it's worth it. If you sell
your product for $50, there's no point on cracking. But if it costs
$2500, then it becomes interesting.

What I don't agree with is that people, who get a cracked copy, wouldn't
have paid for it anyway. Piracy hurts your sales; what you need to
determine is whether the cost of implementing and maintaining
anti-piracy measures can be justified in terms of additional sales.

- Peter