Software Security

Jammer jammer at jammer.biz
Tue Aug 17 17:34:46 CEST 2021

BOOM.

Exactly this. I think people get really, REALLY convoluted in these
things. All these crazy processes and obfuscation can introduce
stability risks imho and for minimal real world gain. There isn't a
system out there that hasn't been hacked. iLok et al are just silly imho.

At best you're just going to to try to keep people honest, the people
that use cracked versions were unlikely to pay for it anyway.

Partial Key validation can be a good approach too.

I just wrote my own based around public / private keys. Wrote a little
tool to query my sales back-end and automates producing a key and
emailing it to the user. Email has a button to click that launches the
app and stuffs the code in. They don't even have to type anything or
even copy+paste anything (unless it's web based email client). I also
didn't want the user to *have* to have an internet connection, nor any
calling home.

Horses for courses though.

--
*Jammer*