Windows 8 = ha ha

ibi sum ibisum at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 19:19:37 CEST 2015

> Hey Jay.  I'm actually pretty familiar with Ardour, put out a CD about 7
> years ago that was recorded with it actually.  The issue for me is that
> I hate dealing with Jack and Ardour relies heavily on it.  Jack made
> everything feel fragile and was a pain if you wanted to use Jamin for
> mastering (constantly doing and undoing routing is not fun).

Ah, you know  .. I do remember you mentioning this here and there.  Apologies.

I’m kind of spoiled with Jack, because it just plain works in my configuration - I’ve got two 19” racks wired up with a Firepod each, and it just works - boot up the DAW machine, start up Jack, start up Ardour, load new session template, and off we go .. rock-stable multitrack recording, etc.

I’m a fanboix, coz for me at least its worked quite well.

> UbuntuStudio, ran that for a while as well.  The problem is that Ubuntu
> proper's interests don't align very well with a studio focused distro
> IMHO.  I haven't looked lately (I changed over to Fedora a while back)
> but when I last was using it they never seemed to get particularly
> stable probably due to the main distro's focus conflicting with theirs.
> I think they should have picked Centos as the base so they would have a
> more predictable platform to build off of.

I dunno, my DAW has been very stable for me, but I must just be doing the Debian dance well enough over the years .. what is for sure true for me is that,

> Windows is obviously lame but in this case I'm just treating it as a
> poor man's XFCE except with driver support and more options for DAW
> software.

Well I applaud your exploration and wanna hear more about what Windows-only software is out there which puts the touch-screen to use, because I think that’s a definite win for everyone when music-making apps go full and proper multitouch - the iPad music-software world is a true delight in that regard, so I imagine that its something that Win8+Touch-enabled laptops is going to be experiencing too.  Is Fruityloops, etc. not all touch-enabled now, too, after all?  Seems delightful ..

> I picked up a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 and so far it seems to be a decent
> choice, lots of inputs with a solid metal case.  We're jamming tonight
> so I will soon have a better idea how the new DAW behaves in action.

Excellent .. will have to tune into your stuff again one of these days .. the boys have been through the wringer with old Griefer tracks that occasionally hit the random playlist, so I’ll be happy to load up some new material for their budding gristle ..

;
--
Jay Vaughan
ibisum at gmail.com