Ableton Live - has it lost its mojo?

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Mon Jun 8 22:06:22 CEST 2015

Tony Scharf schreef op 8-6-2015 om 15:26:

> That said, Ableton is a DAW and it's done what every DAW eventually
> does - becomes mature.  AT some point, there are only so many features
> one can develop without getting into Cakewalk "who the hell actually
> needs that?" territory.

To me, software development -any software development- should be based
on these two principles:
1) Simplicity
2) Evolution

Evolution means that you don't start from scratch because the previous
guy was a moron, or because your ideas are so much better. Starting from
scratch means introducing a whole new set of bugs.

Simplicity can mean many things. One meaning is that the software should
have a simple design. If it's big, chop it into smaller, simple chunks.
If you can't do that, you're doing it wrong.

It also means that software should just do what it's supposed to do, and
not have features that might come in handy one day, or they might not.
If needs be, the software evolves to those features.

And it means that software should be easy to use. Which is why I think
that Logic isn't a particularly good example of my software philosophy,
and it might just be that Live is indeed such an example.

- Peter