Ableton Live - has it lost its mojo?

Kim Johnsson johnssonkim at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 22:45:58 CEST 2015

Peter wrote:

> Evolution means that you don't start from scratch because the previous guy was a moron, or because your ideas are so much better. Starting from scratch means introducing a whole new set of bugs.

I agree on Simplicity. However, I am a big fan of starting from scratch. I have a pet project I’ve been working on for years, and every now and then I come to realise that I’ve been a moron, and that I have so much better ideas than I had when I dreamt up the current architecture, and that my software would definitely benefit from a major refactoring/rewrite. I absolutely love the moment when you start from a clean slate and get your first few classes working together with way less code than last time :-)

Each rewrite/generation has so far been much simpler than the previous one, as in simpler to understand, develop further and use. Much less bugs as well. Of course, some “practical" code is reusable; usually I rewrite architecture level stuff, because that’s the most interesting part, and has the biggest impact on everything. Every now and then a piece of the architecture really falls into place, and I’m happy for a couple of years. I’m not strictly speaking a professional programmer, but I am a software guy at heart. I make Data Warehouses and DW-based reporting, which is reasonably far from being interesting, so I kind of need my pet project to keep me going (a Conceptual Model based automated DW and ETL-generating tool / application generator, so it’s not completely impractical). Obviously the goal is to produce something that doesn’t need to be re-wrtitten, but I don’t mind it if the end result benefits from it. I’m also not considering cost of development here, which obviously is a factor.

Cheers,

	Kim