Once you go mini...

Joost Schuttelaar joost at joostschuttelaar.nl
Wed Feb 25 22:51:44 CET 2015

Interesting thread. One of our developers is very much against systemd for similar reasons as Jay. Me, as a casual Linux (server) user, have no strong preference. I find, just run a bunch of scripts to boot/control your state elegant (it’s a very simple model, easy to inspect), but also pretty rudimentary (dependencies between services, parallelising things).

This line I found interesting:

> Okay, on this I think you have a fair and valid point, but then I don’t think that server problems should be solved by distributions, a technique which only makes sense with desktops (imho), but rather the server install problem should be solved by competent individual server administrators - who are given good tools to solve this problem..

I don’t consider myself a competent sysadmin, but I am the one who does admin our servers (right now, at our scale). And I think I should be capable of doing this.

This is why we chose to base our server-side stuff of commodity, run-of-the-mill, software like nginx, php, mysql, sqlite etc…

I do think it’s appropriate that for launching a new server I grab a Ubuntu 14.04LTS release, run a few apt-get commands, do an rsync to deploy and edit some config files. And then trust the distro to keep packages up-to-date.

Cheers,

--

Joost Schuttelaar
The Hague, NL