If you could design a music product ..

Andrew Robinson andrew at bml.co.uk
Thu Jan 9 17:11:27 CET 2014

That's a very reasonable objection. I enjoy actually working *on*
arrangments too, it's the process of getting from raw audio to a rough
arrangement that *needs* to be worked on by an intelligent human that this
would help with.

You could go the whole hog and get the program to stick in predictable
filter sweeps, drum breaks, side chain compression on the kick, and a
truck-driver's gearchange for the last chorus, and you'd get a program that
rubs me the wrong way too (and probably sells better), I'm simply
suggesting something that just takes the drudge out of tasks like throwing
out the 3 minutes where you went for a cup of tea, comparing the the three
times you played that melody over the top an picking the one that was most
in-time, triming that 73 bar section to 64 bars, taking those 5 minutes
where you were fiddling with the drum machine and letting everything else
loop and trying the busiest bits out as fills, or under the best take of
that synth bit you fiddled with 12 minutes later. I think this would free
up the jamming side of things a bit, too, as you would be more willing to
try 7 takes of a particular bit if you knew that the process of picking the
best one andediting the others out was all going to be seamlessly handled
in the background by a program that probably got it right, but can swap in
any of the other 6 takes, neatly edited into place with a single click.

- Andy_R