Tempest

Tony Scharf noisetheorem at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 19:15:43 CET 2013

>>That being said, I really haven’t liked the sound of any of the new Dave
Smith stuff so maybe it’s just me.

How much editing did you do?  I think the biggest flaw in DSI stuff is the
preset programming which is absolutely atrocious.  The PEK, for example,
can be a great sounding synth if you stop trying to recreate old prophet VS
presets and moogs on it.

I don't like the new price on the Tempest, but the used price is not bad
considering the competition (MachineDrum UW, JoMoX 999/888, Vintage
Roland).

I keep thinking I want a drum machine...but I don't know.   Drums are at
the end of my workflow and not that important.

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 11:58 AM, James R. Coplin <james at ticalun.net> wrote:

> I sat down with one at a friends and I was really underwhelmed, especially
> given the price tag.  It just really left me flat.  That being said, I
> really haven’t liked the sound of any of the new Dave Smith stuff so maybe
> it’s just me.****
>
> ** **
>
> James R. Coplin****
>
> ** **