Seen this yet?

Tony Hardie-Bick tony at entity.net
Thu Jul 5 16:50:30 CEST 2012

okay i read up a bit more and i understand there's a gap in the market

it's a cheeseball chip on an android pad, so, it's not interesting for sonic
innovation, but it's not aimed at that.

the problem is that android, due to variability in the platform hardware, and
various os-level design issues, prevents apps from designing-in a reliable low
audio latency

by adding this chip from yamaha, they get to do audio on separate hardware,
presumably at <10mS latency. so, there's some kind of a market for that.

whether addressable by something like this... well, that's a different issue.

the choice here is to go with android, probably cos they liked the GUI, and one
can make an argument (presumably tagged on after the initial idea) that there's
some reason why network/social integration is valuable in the product (most will
already have a phone for these things, so i'm not convinced).

it's ironic that the arm could itself run audio, leveraging off the huge amount
of audio software that already exists.

albeit not with the 256-voice polyphony that this device no doubt offers ;)

so you never know

Tony (HB)