New DSI Synth - Mopho x4

Tony Scharf noisetheorem at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 00:39:23 CEST 2012

On the magic of old synths...it all comes down to entropy.

As the parameter space of a synth increases, so is the likelihood that any
given combination of parameters will result in displeasing noise (an
unordered state) as opposed a pleasing sound (a highly ordered state).  Old
synths had narrower parameter ranges (though infinite discrete values) and
those ranges were set in a way as to keep the user out of the noise space.

Modern synths, on the other hand, give you a wide parameter space and more
parameters and dont protect you from noise (here is a rope, go hang
yourself).

I prefer to have the choice of hanging myself.