New DSI Synth - Mopho x4

Andrew Tarpinian andrewtarpinian at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 23:53:51 CEST 2012

On Aug 2, 2012, at 7:36 AM, punkdISCO wrote:

> Hey Tony
>
>> DSI syntha are not easy to program until you really get to know them.
>
> For sure but, the one person who should know how to coax a good demo sound out of a DSI synth is surely Mr DS himself..??

I also seem to think that modern DS synth do not sound great, and the presets are the worst. I have the mopho desktop and unfortunately find it too hard to program even with the crap software editor, so it's hard for me to even try to make a nice sound. But that does not mean I don't kinda want one of these a little bit :)

It's funny because I love the sound of my SixTrack (doesn't tune so well anymore though,) every sound out of it sounds good. I think the problem is these modern analog synths have too much going on, that can lead to "bad" sounds. The older ones were much simpler and focused, so every sound sounded great -> that meant you were great at making sounds -> and that in turn makes you think that those synths were some how magic.

Elektron uses this idea, also Apple : )