subnotebook/netbook w/ linux 4 electronic music?

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Sep 2 09:31:47 CEST 2011

> I'm currently testing with Ubuntu 11.04, it's a bit too bloated to my taste.

I switched away from Unity on 11.04, to use Gnome3 instead, but even then I ran screaming from the experience, and now use OpenBox on my UbuntuStudio 11.04 machine instead.  Holy molies its a nice thing to have an ultra-simple window manager not taking up resources, really makes a difference to my productivity workflow.  So I suggest you consider a similar path if the Unity bloat is beginning to bother you - its not so hard to switch to a different desktop environment, fortunately, and still get all the latest benefits of running Ubuntu (btw, you should be using the Studio variety for all its repository wonders..)

> Then again many system functions are quite easy to handle there.
> pure:dyne looks good - I wasn't aware that it's got a real time kernel - nice!

Buy the pure:dyne keyfob distribution, you won't regret having it on your keys .. I absolutely love my pure:dyne setup for when I need to boot someone elses PC for some work ..

> Today I had my hands on an Asus 1015PN I think it's got a good bang for the buck. Atom 550/1.6GHz/2GB/320GB/ION2/10.6" matte LED Display.
> And I just found some Lenovos with non-glare 12" display and a i3 CPU ... need to look up the price.

If you find a good deal locally, please share with me, as I need another machine for work and have been given a budget for a netbook too .

;
--
Jay Vaughan