subnotebook/netbook w/ linux 4 electronic music?

Michael Zacherl. EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Sep 2 01:17:16 CEST 2011

Hey Guys,  just managed to wade through this long thread and its spin-offs - thanks for that ton of infos, you're sweet!

iPad is nice but no Pd and SC on that one, and it's a too closed system ... so, no thanks (for the time being).
The Ideapads look good (i used to buy IBM/Lenovos in dozens in my former life, so I think I got a feel for their products) but the rather old Atom-450-chip (?) is not quite contemporary. But I'll have to have a thorough look at it.
I just did not find Lenovos in a shop to get my hands on a current model, so far.

Of course I checked the MB Air range, saw people performing with the 11" thingies in Weimar and Berlin recently, looks cute, performs well.
But the quality has it's price - which currently is beyond my scope.
And I want to stay in touch with Linux (running the occasional VM is certainly not enough!) and I already started to forget!
Running Linux on a MacBook ... well, nice idea, if I had one left.  ;-)

I can see your point about CPU, caches etc., so I'll look at models sporting an i3 as well, but getting my hands on that (which I need to!) is harder than I thought.
BTW, anything beyond 12" and 1.5kg is not what I want - hence "netbook".

What I really can't cope with is a glare-LCD-screen. This is an absolute ergonomical disaster and a no-go!
So this reduces the range of products drastically, unfortunately.
Then again, Lenovo and Asus got products with anti-glare screens in their range.

I'm currently testing with Ubuntu 11.04, it's a bit too bloated to my taste.
However I think I'll stick with some Debian-derivate (or even the original).
Then again many system functions are quite easy to handle there.
pure:dyne looks good - I wasn't aware that it's got a real time kernel - nice!
What I like:  the ZTE MF150 modem I use for Internet is fully supported!  (didn't think of that), so modem/SIM-card slot is not an issue anymore.

Today I had my hands on an Asus 1015PN I think it's got a good bang for the buck. Atom 550/1.6GHz/2GB/320GB/ION2/10.6" matte LED Display.
And I just found some Lenovos with non-glare 12" display and a i3 CPU ... need to look up the price.

Yesterday I payed the €1700 for the upcoming semester, so money is an issue, but then again I need to invest ... I need hardware to realise the ideas in my head.  ;-)

soon, Michael.