Rant: Why fixing printers is shit

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Mar 1 15:18:38 CET 2010

I third this. Unless you absolutely *must* have color (and I cant see
a reason you do these days with ever corner drugstore taking flash
memory for printing) a Laser is cheaper and the ink last a LOT longer.
 I use my printer fairly regularly and Ill get one to two years out of
a single cartridge! (which is good, because toner is NOT cheap).  The
consumables still end up costing you less than Ink jet, though, simply
because you replace them less frequently.

Another thing is maintenance.  If you get an office quality HP4000
series or something as a rebuilt unit, you can definitely get parts
for them, simply because these things go into offices and companies
dont like to throw things away.  This makes them a better long term
solution.  In home use, they last FOREVER.   My mother has an HP4 that
has been in operation going on 15 years and it works perfectly fine.
Ive replaced the fuser on it once and had to tweak the rollers a
couple times, but thats been it.

Tony