Rant: Why fixing printers is shit

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Mar 1 15:21:22 CET 2010

Martin Naef wrote:
> For the occasional colour photo print, I still have an Epson R300.
> I've had that one for less than 5 years now, but I'm sure I've already
> paid more on ink that I paid on toner over the 15 years despite it
> getting MUCH lower usage...

Coincidentally, the R300 is exactly the printer sitting here for
printing off work things. I swear that the black ink cannot even print
off a ream of ordinary text on an economic ink setting before needing
replaced. Colour is just a never ending cartridge swap nightmare. Sorry.
It's utter shit.

Saddest thing is that the 'ladies' in the office will just waltz into PC
World and buy what's on display if one breaks, ignoring Inkjet or Laser
printer options no matter how clear I try and explain it. Inkjets are
just cash cows selling us cheap ink for tobacco tax prices.
No other explanation why they are so expensive to run and the carts so
small.