Rant: Why fixing printers is shit

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Mar 1 15:11:05 CET 2010

Quoting The Dong <dong at f2s.com>:
> If I wanted a personal printer, I'd dump colour all together and just
> buy a B&W laser. It's cheap to buy now, cheap to run, fast and good
> quality prints and has other uses (like making PCB's for one)

Seconded. I'm still using my HP Laserjet 5P that I bought sometime
around 1995. Admittedly, the manual feed has become a bit
temperamental, but that's acceptable after such a long time. I have to
replace the toner only once every couple of years. Ink cartridges
would have cost me a fortune, a lot of nerves and the prints never
looked as good.

For the occasional colour photo print, I still have an Epson R300.
I've had that one for less than 5 years now, but I'm sure I've already
paid more on ink that I paid on toner over the 15 years despite it
getting MUCH lower usage...

Martin