I promise I'll get rid of the sig

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Apr 7 20:46:04 CEST 2010

> I am not so sure that it is 'way cool'.  I definitely dont like the
> new
> model where everyone has to bow to the whims of the app store vendor.

I think its pretty neat that you no longer have to install your apps
any more and can just 'go shopping', but I'd much rather see the gains
made in the Linux repositories come to the forefront in the next year
or so .. Linux has had such a powerful model for a long time, its a
wonder nobody has capitalized on this to the point where there is a
really big leap on this, and now we have Apple taking all the credit
for solving the software installation/maintenance dilemna by attaching
it all to a credit card.  Blechkk!

> That
> looks more like the old record company model to me than any kind of
> 'innovation'.

If it were as easy as simply adding a new repository of some software
developer you like to the list, it would change things, I think.  In
Ubuntu, whats happened with the Launchpad concept has been quite
exciting - I like the idea of just subscribing to a software channel
and getting new updates, paying for things as I go, and so on.  This
is open, but with still potential for commercial success .. I hope
Ubuntu 10 brings on some big challenge to the competition with Apple
in this regard - certainly for smaller devices, which we are starting
to see, this is going to be very important.

> Apple is changing the way developers create software by basically
> turning
> them into slaves to its whims.

I agree that this isn't very fun, having spent the weekend hacking on
an iPhone project this weekend.. but on the other hand, it is sort of
exciting to think that once this app is done, I can just 'turn it over
to Apple' to make some money out of it.  Oh yeah, I feel a bit dirty
just thinking about it, but fortunately the choice still exists for
all developers to keep their feet in other, non-Apple, non-bastard
platforms .. and thats precisely what I'm doing.

> this could get very bad very quickly for anyone who wants to create
> software.

Linux repositories for the win!

;
--