I promise I'll get rid of the sig

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Apr 7 22:24:51 CEST 2010

Op 7-4-2010 20:21, Andrew Tarpinian schreef:

> but... in a few years what type of os do you think it will be running?
> a lot of peoples fears are the simplified mobile os will take over the
> more complex desktop os for a majority of users. The negatives I see
> with that is hardware and software for us content creators will rise
> in cost since the market for those things will shrink.

No worries about that - unless you're hell-bent on using Mac OS for
productivity. I foresee that for Apple, the economies will come into
play, and that at some point, it may no longer be viable to keep the OS
X product on their own (or other people's) laptops and desktops.

And at that point, it becomes an interesting question: will they keep it
for old time's sake, or as a strategic asset, or will they sell the OS
only, or will they get rid of it altogether? I'm quite convinced they
already have all their SDKs for iPhone, iPod and iPad running on Windows.

But Microsoft did not get huge by selling their software to home users:
they did it by selling to companies. Practically every company on the
planet has Windows running, often together with Office. They have such a
strong offering, together with System Management Server, Active
Directory, Sharepoint, the whole lot, that there is no way that any
competitor could dream of pushing into that market.

So there will always be productivity software, because people need to be
productive, and whatever the iPad is, it's not a productivity machine,
regardless of what the Galactic Space Emperor claims. :)

- Peter