New track

Mikael Hansson EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Sep 20 22:12:52 CEST 2009

Tony Hardie-Bick skrev:
> Hi Micke,
>
> Others will give good advice about structure etc, but generally, this is
> altogether very close to what you're aiming for, IMHO. I like the vocals, and
> the space of the sounds, and the tempo of the way the story unfolds.
>
> For me, for sure, the thing that's not quite there is the fact it sounds
> synthetic, in the wrong way, in that the vocals are perfectly (I'm sure otehrs
> will object) recorded, and the synths are all exactly right.
>
> This undermines the music, a bit, because the emotion that goes in to music
> making is imperfect, so, it's a bit out of balance, for that reason.
>
> When using such high quality gear (ie, ordinary computer, good AD conversion and
> synths), the issue of texture can be tricky. If it were me, I'd chuck one or
> several tracks through a tube unit of some kind, but... that, I sense, is not
> the answer.
>
> Probably, if you grabbed a decent analogue mixer from somewhere (complete with
> slightly crackly sliders etc), and did a mix through that, and keep all the
> otherwise high quality signal paths, after you've done about twenty tracks like
> that, you'd start to reach levels that are very difficult to obtain using purely
> digital gear. Having mastered that... you could go back to digital, and I think
> you'd find ways of encompassing the breadth of sound you discovered when mixing
> old style.
>
> Just my thoughts. Some noise, and very subtle distortion are missing.

Thanks Tony!

You're probably right and I would love to try doing it more
"analog"...but in reality it's a luxury I'll never be able to reach.

Partly the "wife <-> resources to gear" balance, but mostly because I
don't have enough time to work on music. I would probably have to get a
divorce, dump the kids and call in sick every other day :)

But...its a part of my life that I have chosen to sacrifice, although I
miss it...

I might consider a tubeunit...as I don't really have any need for new
gear otherwise. I'm quite content with what I have right now in terms of
synths and plugins. I mainly use a few select vst-instruments and my
(few) external synths so I consider myself relatively clean of the GAS :)

Much appreciated thoughts though!

/Micke