Wok-fi - anyone done it?

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Nov 17 19:26:42 CET 2009

Dave S schreef:

> Has anyone done this wok-fi stuff?  Does it work well?  Should I just go for
> the network cable?  Any other suggestions?

No experience with cooking utensils when it comes to networking, but let
me share my experience with wireless networks.

My wife's computer started out with a wireless network card, and a
router at the other side of the house (about 20 to 25 metres, I guess).
There was no direct line of sight, so it didn't work until I got booster
antennas. After that, it worked so-so.

Later, I got an extra wireless router, and put it in her office, about
three metres from the computer. It worked a lot better then, even though
there were some problems now and then.

This weekend, I've upgraded her computer to Windows 7 (which, by the
way, is a particularly nice and smooth operating system), and the
network card does not have Windows Vista/7 drivers. So that simply
doesn't work, which is also a consideration when using wireless.

So, I've connected it via CAT5 cable and the difference is immense. You
can't compare the speed and reliability of cable to wireless, apart from
other issues like security.

Mind, I'll be keeping the two wireless network we have, both for our
phones and my wife's netbook, but desktop computers will just have wired
network from now on.

So my advice would be to go for the cable. Just see if you can find a
cheap option.

- Peter