Wok-fi - anyone done it?

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Nov 17 20:50:11 CET 2009

> Has anyone done this wok-fi stuff?  Does it work well?  Should I just go for
> the network cable?  Any other suggestions?

I've built many designs of diy wifi antenna, most of the omni ones are
hit and miss without testing equipment and exactly the right materials.
What you ideally want is two 'cantenna' or waveguide type antenna,
usually made with a big empty coffee or bean tin or similar (or a
pringles crisp tube) or your mentioned dish type. Ebay has cheapish can
type antennas.
These are very directional.

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

The best one I've made is a design called the AMOS:

http://www.larsen-b.com/Article/209.html
http://www.qsl.net/yu1aw/vhf_ant.htm  (loads of designs in PDF)

I used a solid core earth wire stripped from a mains cable for the main
elements and bought the correct cable. Works well, but a more
directional one might be better.

I have to go with Peters advice though ;)
A cable is a much better solution.
There are nearly always problems with wireless in my experience, slower
speeds being the least problematic. Maybe it's because 90% of the
consumer grade wifi equipment is junk.