Power Question

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Apr 18 16:55:36 CEST 2009

> Just make sure you keep signal cables away from power cables, keep all
> your equipment on the same earth potential to avoid ground hum, and
> you're done. Everything else is fine for those who believe in fairy dust...

...what this means is use one 4-bar/power strip thing into one
electrical outlet and plug everything into it. It's easy to spend lots
of money on surge protection, isolation, gizmo madness, but in my real
experience it can cause as much problems as it is supposed to solve (one
particular surge protector would spuriously trigger the fuse box MCB
when used on an amp that only used about 20W of power. Took ages to
track that down)

http://green.yahoo.co.uk/blog/ecogeek/477/power-strip-makes-you-feel-guilty.html

That's not a recommendation! :)
But the small ($15 or so) plug in testers that tell Amps, Watts, Cost,
mains voltage and frequency etc. of things can be useful.

If you have need for more sockets, it's better to string another one on
serially or buy a bigger one than to plug another into another mains
socket as this creates another path to earth. A condition avoided in
much audio circuitry. It may be a little fairy dusty..

I believe in the fairy dust when I'm on the fairy dust...
And only when the fairy dust was free, otherwise I just feel dirty.

;)