Bhut Jolokia

Niall Munnelly EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Sep 3 16:24:16 CEST 2008

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 02:40:10PM +0100, Martin Naef wrote:

> So I assume a hot pepper tends to be tastier?

Not always.  I have some hot sauces that scorch the palate,
but taste awful, really awful.

I've never had a bad habanero, though I've even quite a few
bad habanero sauces.

> > Capsaicin itself feels good, once you're used to the burn,
> > and it's good for you.  I did grow inured to the heat of
>
> Well, I know it feels good while you eat it. But the intestine cramps,
> diarrhoe, sickness and drop of blood pressure I get the morning after
> tells me that my body doesn't agree with that assessment. And it's
> clearly not a case of "getting used to" - I was.

I had those symptoms for the first few months after eating
my first really hot sauce in quantity - the lamentably out
of production "Mountainman," from New Paltz, NY.  They
eventually went away, though.  I eat maybe four or five
habaneros a day with no ill side effects, gastric or
otherwise.  So, just do what I did and you'll be fine, in
time ;)

The low BP thing doesn't surprise me; I believe that
nitroglycerin is employed for heart attack sufferers for
that reason, and that capsaicin will do the same job in a
pinch.

They gave me nitroglycerin when I went to the hospital a
few weeks ago, and the resultant headache was blinding.
Ugh.

--
Yours,
Niall.