Korg PCIF or Roland serial MIDI

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jun 13 13:34:57 CEST 2008

The Dong wrote:
> Martin Naef wrote:
>> Not quite sure what it is that you're looking for... As far as I'm
>> aware, these are just plain 1:1 data pipes - you send a byte across the
>> serial port, it gets sent out of the MIDI port. I've used a Korg 05R/W
>> when I needed a MIDI interface attached to an SGI Onyx.
>
> Some info is in the 05R/W manual at the back, doh!

Ahhh, that's probably where I found it...

> The trick here is that a PIC (or similar) could easily play middleman
> and decode these commands for a 1IN/2OUT midi interface with a few dozen

Anything with a decent number of UARTs would do indeed (nope, that
excludes the AVR/Arduino unfortunately).

> lines of code. If an open source serial host driver is used (and I know
> there is one) a minor modification could expand the number of midi
> outputs, but too many will probably choke.

Link? You could of course increase the host bandwidth and make sure you
don't send to much data to a single port at any time. Things get a bit
more complext, though.

The question, though, becomes: If you get into modification of MIDI
drivers and custom PIC code, why not build the interface using a
USB-enabled PIC or similar from scratch?

Bye
Martin

--
http://www.navisto.ch