Korg PCIF or Roland serial MIDI

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jun 13 11:54:48 CEST 2008

Martin Naef wrote:
> Not quite sure what it is that you're looking for... As far as I'm
> aware, these are just plain 1:1 data pipes - you send a byte across the
> serial port, it gets sent out of the MIDI port. I've used a Korg 05R/W
> when I needed a MIDI interface attached to an SGI Onyx.

Some info is in the 05R/W manual at the back, doh!
It's only half a page, but basically the Korg driver sends an F5 XX
command out to the host (the serial port) to select whether that data
goes to the TG (this is the host synth) or the midi out, or both. It
also inserts FF every fourth byte if in 38400 mode, which is to be ignored.
There are other minor commands.

The trick here is that a PIC (or similar) could easily play middleman
and decode these commands for a 1IN/2OUT midi interface with a few dozen
lines of code. If an open source serial host driver is used (and I know
there is one) a minor modification could expand the number of midi
outputs, but too many will probably choke.

It was just a thought.
Might tinker with it before I die..

:)