Korg PCIF or Roland serial MIDI

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Jun 9 22:50:49 CEST 2008

The Dong wrote:
> Does anyone have any details on these protocols?

Not quite sure what it is that you're looking for... As far as I'm
aware, these are just plain 1:1 data pipes - you send a byte across the
serial port, it gets sent out of the MIDI port. I've used a Korg 05R/W
when I needed a MIDI interface attached to an SGI Onyx.

You have to be careful not to send too much data at once, otherwise the
internal buffer would overrun (the RS232 side runs at 38k). I think
there was a trick that you could just stuff some bytes into the data
stream that are outside the MIDI specs (e.g. 0xff) and hence ignored to
make sure you never overrun the buffer even when sending a continuous
stream at 38k.

> I could just wire up a loopback to my PC serial port and read the data
> in a terminal, but if the info is open, or if an open source alternative
> exists, it might open up other possibilities of expandability.

The info is open, I just can't remember where I found it at the time...

Bye
Martin