Korg PCIF or Roland serial MIDI

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jun 6 11:10:20 CEST 2008

Does anyone have any details on these protocols?

They are similar (I believe quite interchangeable) serial midi drivers
for certain synth and module support. Most of the gear can also act as a
midi interface (effectively 1in, 2out MIDI)

The main reason I ask is that I have a couple of very cheap (£2.50 each)
USB to serial adaptors which I have hacked and confirmed connections for
RX/TX/GND. My reckoning was to use a pair of at hand PIC's to construct
what might be the cheapest (and possibly smallest) portable 2out/1in
MIDI interface using these already available drivers as a basis.

I could just wire up a loopback to my PC serial port and read the data
in a terminal, but if the info is open, or if an open source alternative
exists, it might open up other possibilities of expandability.

Yours, hopefully.
!Dong