more music made with webcam ..

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Jun 1 10:39:11 CEST 2008

> I don't get it? What does that do that you can't do with a TR808 or
> machine
> drum style interface?

I could put a picture of various things down on the page, instead of a
grid, say of various objects and nice artwork, and then put shiny
coins over the bits I want triggered.  If I was an 8 year old learning
to make a stomping beat, this would interest me a *lot* more than the
pocket calculator garbage we've all been lying to ourselves as "the
best interfaces there is" ..

> I'm all for new ideas, but what they're (a) original and/or (b)
> enhance
> something that exists now.

What you're looking at is a primordial step.

> This interface does neither, sorry.
> It has no velocity control over sounds (though I guess you could use
> colours) and has no patch memory or programmability.

> It's a gimmick, much like electronic door openers for cars, WHY?

I remember the days when synths were nothing but huge gimmicks,
themselves .. when a *pitch bend* wheel was considered a gimmick!
Sheesh!

;
--
Jay Vaughan