blown-up my fireworx :(

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Oct 6 11:46:16 CEST 2007

Cyrille.Damez at laposte.net wrote:
> The power supply of my TC Fireworx broke a couple months ago. I've brought it
> for repair to a nearby shop, but despite trying for several months, the guy
> hasn't managed to get replacement parts from TC and gave up. Apparently this
> is quite typical (both the hardware failure, and the subsequent behavior from
> TC).

Not just TC.
Most companies I've tried to get replacement parts for faulty gear are
silly about it. Either it takes forever sifting through phone lines,
only to be told at the correct end that they won't deal with
individuals, or they joyously announce that they can supply a
replacement PCB etc. but it has to be ordered from China/Japan/Thailand
and costs the same price as the bit of gear you want to repair...

> So I brought back my broken rack home today, and I don't know what to do.
> I can't even rip my spare m-one to steal its power supply as it seem to be a
> slightly less powerful one (15W instead of 20W).
> I think I need to hit on something!

You need to find a more adventurous (willing) repairer.
If it really is just a PSU module that is fuxxored, it can be hacked
with either a similar internal replacement (prob. a switching power
supply module? dunno) or an external psu.

Alternatively, ebay will recover a chunk of your investment or trust a
friend hack that has time to poke about further.

The main problem here is repairing the electronics of the original power
supply (switching supplies tend to be relatively complex) or sourcing a
direct replacement that will fit. Many companies use pre-designed third
party psu (and other) modules, with the xbox for example, a psu can be
sourced from another company that is the right one. Identifying codes,
company details etc. may be gleaned by examination.

As you can tell already, it takes patience.
After all that, I would persist at trying to get TC to repair it or
supply the part yourself. Use deception if required to get the right
department (repairs or parts, management etc.)
Try and get through to management (my god what a hassle).
Threaten legal action. Threaten to come down there with your mum.

Eventually (or straight away!), they may offer to repair or send a
replacement part, but don't be surprised when they say it will cost TC
Fireworx RRP x .5

Aiiieeee!!

;)