Recovery (was Re: serious WANT! Samsung SSD 64g drive ..)

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Nov 12 05:17:24 CET 2007

Ok, my main music PC has been around for at least 4 years.  Its an
athlon 64 3200+ with 1gb of ram.   I had the data drives setup in a
raid configuration (SATA, on the mother board).   I used to run Sonar,
but switched to Cubase but recently have been using live more and
more.   Ive also got a lot of other software on there.

The files system was NTFS on the music system. my backup drive is EXT3
because I used knoppix to make disk images to it.  When I went to
format a new backup disk, I screwed up and accidentally formated the
data drive.  To make matters worse, linux did NOT see the raid
controller, so I ended up formatting just one of the stripped hard
drives.  When I went to do the recovery, It was only able to recover
every other stripe.

After my move, I am planning to implement a smarter backup system that
goes to a completely different system through the network and doesnt
involve me booting into a separate OS to do this.  It was a bad setup,
really.

with everything in storage, I am using my alienware laptop (a client
perk from a few years ago)  that I intend to use for my DJ rig and for
playing with reason for the next couple weeks.  The move is a week
from tomorrow, but I probably wont get the studio reconfigured for a
few weeks after that (we are painting, carpeting and doing some
acoustic treatments first). So for now, its just me and minimal
software..

Tony