Pitch Where You Live

Kai Niggemann canine at waf80.de
Sat Feb 24 23:55:19 CET 2024

> On 24. Feb 2024, at 23:12, Niall Munnelly <niall.munnelly at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> What places are walkable, cycling-friendly and punch above their weight, culturally (especially musically) that I should investigate?

Köln, Germany. it’s a bit over 1. Mil inhabitants. decent public transport (good enough that everyone always uses it, but curses it out. one of their official ads says: “you overslept? just blame us!”.

Biking is key here (very flat) we have a river like Vienna, but also had Stockhausen and Can, so music (electronic, experimental, techno and Kraut) are the DNA of this city. Berlin stole all the record companies away (but they are all part of Universal now anyway). We have a big university and people are pleasant. From November til February it gets a bit weird because people here are very serious about Karneval…

The weather is pretty German, but more sun than other cities that don’t have the Rhine river.