iPad and Ableton live

K9 Kai Niggemann canine at waf80.de
Wed Dec 27 13:26:25 CET 2023

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the club!

I have tried so many iPad apps to make sounds and very few actually make sense on the iPad.

The main thing for me is that DAWs are broken. I have yet to find one that’s actually fun to use and brings everything together in a way that i’d feel like it can be a surrogate for live of logic.

If you are on the Mac, you can use the iPad as an audio input, creating a usb-c connection into your daw. Then you can put a synth like ID700 (Buchla 700, amazing FM sounds, with a random generator to get you started), animoog (great use of touch) or the infamous no-input mixer.

There is also the Virtual ANS and Phonopaper which are great tools that show off the iPad’s capabilities.

ANS is a synth where you drew audio waves on glass slides, Phonopaper is a live image sonification app.

The Minimoog is great but also works on the Mac (Auv3), so I prefer it there. I’m not a fan of the iSEM, my hardware clone (analog solutions SEMblance) makes so much more sense.

But this is just my opinion, feel free to ask more.

My favorite app most best on the iPad is Procreate, but you need the pencil for that, really…;)

Alles gute
Kai

Sent from my Phone