Re: DSI Pro2

Tony Scharf noisetheorem at outlook.com
Fri Aug 29 19:58:39 CEST 2014

The PEK is a complicated beast and it took a lot of time to find where it's sweet spot is (Its almost an inverted bell curve - the synth lives at the extremes).   If you try to use it as a normal synth, it just won't work.  You will never get a great bass or a great synth pad out of it (Or rarely…i've got a few but they took a lot of work).  Now,

Now, if you want to add 'weird’ to a track, the PEK is the perfect place to go.

I have a lot of tracks I've done that have the PEK in the background with the VCA opened just droning on as I tweak the knobs.  I treat it almost like a modular with no patch points.   This is where there is just nothing like it!   I'll use the keyboard to advance the sequencer shifting several parameters (such as wave type) at once.  It becomes a very unique type of performance instrument.  And nothing at all sounds like it!

Sorry to get on my soap box about the PEK again.  It's just, I guess, the synth for me (and apparently Trent Reznor has one in his studio as well).  But I do love the god damn thing.

Tony

Sent from Surface