Bhut Jolokia

Niall Munnelly EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Sep 3 14:28:15 CEST 2008

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 12:44:41PM +0100, Martin Naef wrote:
> Ron,
>
> Ron West wrote:
> > Well, they are finally ripe (they take 3-4 weeks longer than other
> > peppers) and they certainly live up to their reputation. There was no
>
> Can someone explain to me the fascination of these super-hot peppers
> beyond the sports aspect? Is the pain worth the taste? Are these peppers
> just hot, or do they have a flavour that can't be achieved with
> traditional means?

Yes, the taste is worth the pain if it's a good pepper.  The
scotch bonnet/habanero pepper is delicious and hot.  I use
it in almost all of my hot sauces, which I consume in far
greater quanities than salt or black/white pepper.

Capsaicin itself feels good, once you're used to the burn,
and it's good for you.  I did grow inured to the heat of
milder peppers, and there is a mild need to get hotter ones,
so this is good news for me.  I'm pretty sure endorphin
habituation plays a role in all of this, as well.  When I
have really hot saices, I find that I eat more, which isn't
always good.

But yeah, heat and flavor aren't mutually exclusive.

--
Yours,
Niall.