more music made with webcam ..

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Jun 1 00:40:22 CEST 2008

Paul Maddox wrote:
>> Webcam: £10. Sheet of paper: 1p.
>
> Cost of PC, 400 pound, cost of tr 808 emulator (free plugin is available
> IIRC). So, cost isn't a valid point.

Ok, it's not the ultimate motivation.

>> Why do people build their own synthesizers? Because it's cheaper? No.
>> Because they sound better? Probably not. Because it's fun? Yep.
>
> Personally, no, synth building isn't what I'd call fun.. Fun is playing with
> my dog in the park.

I don't believe you here. You might not like every single step of the
process (I'm sure you don't particularly enjoy practising scales on the
bass either, and neither do you fancy cleaning up after your dog), but
if building the synth as a whole doesn't give you any great
satisfaction, I seriously can't understand why you built any in the
first place...

>> I think it's great that there's an active community out there building
>> stuff for fun. If somebody tried to sell me that thing as a product, I'd
>> decline. But that's not the point here...
>
> I have no problem with people doing what they want with their time, I'd
> rather people did this that get p1ssed and start fights, but I don't see
> what's so great to shout about.

I think it's at least as great as our latest tracks. We're quite happy
to share them here, congratulate ourselves and be proud. In the grand
scheme of things, 99% of our stuff is totally dispensible, because only
a handful of people ever hear it and, and even fewer will remember it
next year. Same thing with that interface: It won't be the great break-
through, only a handful of geeks on the internet will ever see it. Yet
he or she has as much bragging rights as we do with the things we build
or compose. Why are we suddenly so bloody critical about somebody's
creative output?

>  The concept of using cameras to pick up motion and objects has been around
> for a long time, so what's new? What does this prove?

That it can be done by a hobbyist? And that it might inspire somebody
else to go and build something that indeed advances the field? Isn't
that enough?

Bye
Martin