Lane moje

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Jun 1 00:35:26 CEST 2008

Some of you may know that I'm, despite everything, quite a big fan of
the Eurovision Song Contest. Indeed, despite the political voting,
despite the garishness, despite the sometimes outright crap you see,
there is the occasional gem that makes it all worthwhile.

Quite a few of those gems come from Serbia, not exactly a universally
liked country. This entry, 'Lane moje', is from 2004:

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=ByJ3eeBsktw

Officially, it's from 'Serbia and Montenegro', but given that the singer
presented this year's edition after Serbia won last year, it's fair to
say that it's a Serbian entry. (In fact, in 2006 they didn't send an
entry because Serbia and Montenegro were fighting about who's turn it
was, and shortly afterwards the Montenegrins seceded.)

Ostensibly, the song is all traditional, with traditional instruments
and clothing, but listen a bit closer and you hear the synthesisers
during the chorus. And it's a *very* carefully choreographed performance.

'Lane moje' literally means 'my fawn', which is a Serbian phrase for
'sweetheart'. The song came second in the competition, because first
place was grabbed by Ruslana and her incredible performance, which
touches you on a much more primitive level than 'Lane moje'. (Good
looking people, leather, long hair, you get the picture.)

Still, I think this is a brilliant song. Gripping, and very well
produced and performed. How strange that something this beautiful comes
from a country that has made such a bad name for itself during the nineties.

- Peter