more music made with webcam ..

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Jun 1 10:29:12 CEST 2008

> Yes, that's true. But it seems to me that the onus is more about low
> cost and using what's there, than actually doing something new.
> Because
> in essence, it doesn't differ from the interfaces we've seen before.
> Instead of a mouse or a couple of buttons, we use a piece of paper and
> coins.

Not bad for a first demo.  Certainly a marketable approach.

> But what if we pointed the web cam at our faces, and use it for facial
> recognition? It's not at all easy, but my web cam comes with a piece
> of
> software that let's me replace my own face with a dinosaur. (Some
> might
> claim that's an actual improvement. :))

The processing power required to do the drum-grid scanning is a lot
less stringent.  I'm in favour of requiring less power to do
interesting things, interface-wise.

> Just a thought. Not that I want to ditch everything that is not
> super-sophisticated, but all the things I've seen so far score high on
> the gadget factor, or the cheapness factor, but to me they all lack a
> certain amount of imagination.

Imagination.  What is this substance you speak of?  Does it float on
water?

;
--
Jay Vaughan