New track for your review

Andrew Robinson andrew at bml.co.uk
Tue Mar 14 17:39:42 CET 2023

Hi Tom

Looks like I didn't get the original mail for some reason. Anyway, here's
my feedback:

I like the track a lot, the fx bits at the end in particular are great.
Mix-wise I'm agreement with Joost on pretty much everything. I do like the
high pitched line, but I'd hold back a bit longer before introducing it,
and I'd make it a little spookier and less harsh by cutting the decay a bit
and adding more reverb. I'd also try adding a really low sub-oscillator
below the bassline, playing the same notes, to give the bass a little more
authority, and perhaps subtly automate the filter up a bit over the whole
duration of the song, so the bass very gradually gets more intense. I'd
also back the vocals off by about 3db, I think they are just a bit too
dominant at the moment when playing the track loud.

Overall, there's not a lot of stereo width (pan the percussion out more, or
try some ping-pong delays? Kilohearts Faturator wouldbe my go-to here), and
the mix could be more agressive. Nothing is clipping, saturating or
distorting, which makes the whole thing a bit polite for this genre. I'd
try dirtying-up the percussion (my secret sauce here is a bit of sample
rate and bit depth reduction, but treating the left and right channels
independently with different settings. This results in less 'ringing' and
more stereo presence than simple stereo bit-crushing). I agree with Joost
on the kick, perhaps adding a low/crunchy/distorted/low bandwidth snare on
2s and 4s might be the answer to this and the politeness? My solution to
the lack of 'air' would be a tiny bit of Valhalla Plate on the whole track.
My go-to is the default preset but very, very dry (after any other
mastering you're doing). I find that if you gradually back it off until you
can't hear that it's there (which seems to happen at about 97% dry), you'll
hit a spot where the music just sounds 'worse' if you bypass it and
'better' if you don't. If this doesn't work first time, high-pass the
reverb return and try again.

Andy_R