New Music! "False Flag" by LX NEN

Andrew Robinson andrew at bml.co.uk
Sat Mar 4 15:49:18 CET 2023

Hi Romain

Thanks for listening, and for the detailed feedback, it's really
appreciated. Overall I think you're absolutely right that many of the
tracks are too long, I've been thinking the same myself listening back to
it - if I had a few more days in February I would have devoted them to
tightening it up.

> 1. Strengths -
>
> I really like the synth lead at 1min52.
> I enjoyed  the birds and synth solos with the granular.
>
> I think this is the second 'single' - I'll do a 'radio edit' to make it
get to the hooks more quickly and see what I can come up with for a video,
and possibly a more dreamy ambient/dubby alternate mix.

> 2. Weaknesses
>
> A bit too long in my opinion, however I really like the flute (in Phrygian
> I guess)  and what you do with the voices in general , it feels like
> a Spiritual song but suddenly after 4min there is a D Bowie synth trip
> that I really dig :)

Yes, I was quite obsessed with hitting my goal of an hour of music and was
expecting to fall short for most of the month, so I made my strongest track
quite long.... probably too long!

> 6. Anger - A solid 10 minute slab of 120bpm techno. 808, 303, quirky
> gritty noises.
>
> This one sounds like kind of a jam.
> But I may be wrong … you only know : )
>
> Actually, all the tracks are made the same way. Build a 16 bar loop in
Reason, export as audio segments, assemble those segments in another Reason
file (arranging in an almost jamming way), then if needed, go back to the
first file and make any missing elements or extra bits I think it needs.
This is actually one where I changed the structure of the track several
times, the first version quickly built to a big drop, then elements dropped
out, then I has two big drops, but they felt the wrong way round as the
first drop was bigger, so I tried to smooth the arrangement out and make it
less about drops.

> 7. Bargaining - The silly one. A cross-genre kitchen sink wall of sound
> with distorted bells, sci-fi noises, violin solo, tom-toms, 303, an
> orchestra, timbales and 1/4 speed distorted toy piano of doom.
>
> A bit too tropical or classical for me but it s easy listening …
> My only remark would be  at  0:33,  0:36, 0 :44 the low bells are too
> loud(a click is bothering me), after  is ok tho …

I think this is the one I put the most work in to, but also the one that's
the least successful. To be honest, it's too tropical and classical for me
too!

All in all (for me), your productions are very well made in general, the
> mixes are cleaned and precise, they all have a very nice width, the only
> thing which is bothering me  is some songs are too long ..
> However,  as usual  I did enjoy the journey of what your music is
> giving/making  !
> I m curious to read the comment of others, they may have better advice :)

Me too! I've actually tried to make these tracks less clean and precise
than most of my work, there's more imprecise timing and layers of dirt than
before, maybe I'm getting the balance right now? The whole thing was mixed
and arranged on little M-Audio computer speakers, so I'm glad to hear that
I've not messed the sound balance up too much, just a bit of excess bass in
places which I often seem to be guilty of - perhaps I need to add a
subwoofer to my setup?

The album is now on all the major music streaming services (Distrokid makes
this so easy), here's a Spotify link:
https://open.spotify.com/album/1eQgu59Jc0xa772jGLFX8V

My big news is that there's an experimental / electronic / IDM night in
Worcester that I wasn't aware of, the organiser likes the album, and has
asked me to play a gig! I'll have to work out how to turn this into a short
live set... and I might add a cover version or two in there, as I've been
meaning to do a covers project next.

Regards,

- Andy_R