New Music! "False Flag" by LX NEN

Romain Xavier xtechcode at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 21:47:24 CET 2023

Hi ! ! It is very nice that you did a complete album for RPM  2023 :)

> On 1 Mar 2023, at 15:38, Andrew Robinson <andrew at bml.co.uk> wrote:
>

> 1. Strengths - Easy listening Techno (?) with nice hooks and a pleasing blend of quirky noises. Lots of physical modelling with Reason rack extensions here, for the bass flute, string-like pulse and wobbly bouncing ball-ish thing.

I really like the synth lead at 1min52.
I enjoyed  the birds and synth solos with the granular.

> 2. Weaknesses - This is 'single' from the album. A 'found sound' voice sample of poetry is distorted until it's mostly unintelligible. More physical modelling for a flute-like sound, and Devious Machines Texture and Infiltrator 2 provide various types of damage and aging.

A bit too long in my opinion, however I really like the flute (in Phrygian I guess)  and what you do with the voices in general , it feels like
a Spiritual song but suddenly after 4min there is a D Bowie synth trip that I really dig :)

> 3. Opportunities - Not a Pet Shop Boys cover. One of my rules for the project was that I must use every piece of software I've installed over the last year, which is how this ended up being a war between an orchestral track (Spitfire Audio's BBC Symphony Orchestra, Reason's Friktion and Harmony Improvisator by Synleor) and a dubstep track (PhasePlant and 303).

Spitfire really rocks !
I really like the contrast between classic music (spitfire) and the dubstep part with the 303.
Very very nice !

> 4. Threats - The most agressive track here. Traditional techno with lots of heavily processed 303.

The words:  'Meddle Age Acid’ are coming to my mind  when I listen to this one  …

> 5. Denial - Somehow I ended up making an easy listening record from the 1940s and it fits in nicely here as a short oasis of calm before drifting off into slightly disturbing decay. The clarinet line has been stuck in my head for weeks. Expect low bandwidth, police radio chatter and layers of artificial gunge.

Very BioShock mood there :)

> 6. Anger - A solid 10 minute slab of 120bpm techno. 808, 303, quirky gritty noises.

This one sounds like kind of a jam.
But I may be wrong … you only know : )

> 7. Bargaining - The silly one. A cross-genre kitchen sink wall of sound with distorted bells, sci-fi noises, violin solo, tom-toms, 303, an orchestra, timbales and 1/4 speed distorted toy piano of doom.

A bit too tropical or classical for me but it s easy listening …
My only remark would be  at  0:33,  0:36, 0 :44 the low bells are too loud(a click is bothering me), after  is ok tho …

Some stuff make me think of Eric Serra music (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89ric_Serra).

> 9. Acceptance - Darkly grooving techno that eventually resolves to a happier place, courtesy of a 303 put through a chord-voice harmonising effect.

For this minimal song,  the bass at 1:33 is a bit too present as for 303 as well, but automation can solve those issues (if they are).

> I hope you enjoy it. I'd be really happy to get any feedback you might have (particularly around quality control and better mastering, which hasn't really been done). There's a lot of music to wade through so feel free to skip through any tracks that are not working for you. Of course I'm happy to answer any how did you do that / why did you do that / etc. questions.
>
> - Andy_R

All in all (for me), your productions are very well made in general, the mixes are cleaned and precise, they all have a very nice width, the only thing which is bothering me  is some songs are too long ..
However,  as usual  I did enjoy the journey of what your music is giving/making  !
I m curious to read the comment of others, they may have better advice :)

Regards,

Romain