Eventide H8000fw opinions?

James Coplin james at ticalun.net
Tue Sep 20 04:35:12 CEST 2022

As far as the Axe-FX III is concerned, it's brilliant, I have one, and
it's not going anywhere thanks to a really great guy on this list ;)
Everyone should get one and I'm sure Chicago Tony shares this opinion
with me.

This is kind of a talk me off the ledge question. So, I've recently
liquidated a good bit of old gear that has put quite the windfall in my
gear account. Further, I'm actually in a place with my studio where I'm
not really wanting and certainly not needing anything. That said, I have
the cash and I've always kind of wanted an Orville or a H8000. However,
Orville's are going for as much as H8000 so it doesn't make much sense
to get one.

I recently purchased a Lexicon PCM81 and it's pretty much replaced my
Kurzweil KSP8 as my main reverb. The KSP8 has long been my main multi FX
unit (for those who don't know, its 4 full stereo FX processors with
tons of ins and outs) I've found the past several years though, I
generally only ever use 1 of the processors and sometimes two but
largely never 3 or 4. So, I'm considering selling it. The H8000 would
give me 2 channels and supposedly be a step up in FX quality and not be
too much of a stretch given my current cash on hand. However, it also
may be super overkill and even though I have the cash, $3500 is a lot
for a multiFX no matter how good they are. I'm also considering the
Eventide Eclipse as it can be had for closer to $1000 and maybe it will
serve my needs. I don't really need all the VSIG power of rolling my own
algorithms.

As far as usage, I have reverbs covered but I am a sucker for the
occasional Eventide pitched verb though I generally prefer the chorusy
Lexi clouds better. I see the eventide mainly for thickening up the mono
analog signal paths in the studio, interesting filtered delays, and some
reverb duties. Anything requiring amp, distortion etc, is going to the
Axe-FX III so those algos would never get touched in an Eventide.

So, do I sit on cash, get the Eclipse for the Eventide type chorus and
pitch and be content with tweaking presets (which honestly is probably
what I'll mostly do even on the H8000), or is it worth stepping up to
the H8000?

James

--
Sent from Postbox <https://www.postbox-inc.com>