Some new tracks for quick feedback

Andrew Robinson andrew at bml.co.uk
Mon May 16 22:11:13 CEST 2022

Hi Tom

First off - I love this stuff and will definitely buy the
album/single/whatever these are for, but I'll dive in and criticise a lot,
as that's what you're asking us to do. I have almost no complaints about
the instrumentation, hardly anything to say about the arrangements, but a
lot to say about mix, eq and stereo field.

Indust May: I did an a/b with Front 242's "Welcome to Paradise" and it
really highlights some mix issues. Everything seems to be a mono sound
panned centre or hard left/right. Coupled with a very bottom-heavy EQ, this
makes whole track very muddy. I'd add a lot of top, and cut a lot at about
140 and 48Hz, pan some things half left and half right, throw the main
glitchy loop sound through Izotope's Ozone Imager (free download) and chop
off the last 15 seconds.

Dark Soul: Stereo and EQ much better here... Vocal samples are a touch too
loud in places, overall it's nearly mono until it suddenly spreads out at
about 5:00, I'd spread things out in the stereo field much more. Maybe some
treatment on the vocals to make them more sinister, especially if this is
on the same release as the next track.

Exp2rad Techies2: Stereo and EQ good, Vocals are a bit quiet, I'd add a
subtly synth doubling the bass a couple of octaves up from about 3:00-ish,
to give the track a lift. The final cymbal clash sounds like in might be a
mistake, I'd lose that and fade faster.

Mar Master: Best mix/master of the 4, vocals are a bit quiet again, I'd
back off the effects a bit for intelligibility's sake (a/b with 242's
"Religion", where the vocals are more distorted but easier to understand).
Vocal sample echos are a bit loud and possibly panned too far. Not a fan of
the synth playing the 3 descending notes, just seems a bit cheesy/hammond
organ, I'd try something more distorted / church organ, or have the gating
effect on it from the start.

Great tracks overall!

- Andy_R