Akai MPC Key 61 - thoughts?

Jay Vaughan ibisum at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 15:42:39 CEST 2022

> From what I gather from the reviews and teardowns, it's a pretty slick piece of gear. The one thing I noticed was that you're buying into a bespoke ecosystem, with bespoke plugins, and possibly limited hardware resources. On the other hand, that bespoke product is an MPC, and you don't want to do every single thing with a single piece of gear anyway.

Yeah - that’s a good point, it was one of the cons of our discussion this morning, that - while it seems powerful - a lot of the demos we looked at were with plugins that were an extra cost.

I wonder what they’re using for the plugin technology.  Seems like a no-brainer to be using something like JUCE, especially given its ARM support is pretty good .. (Building LMN3-DAW in the background as I  type..)

Nevertheless, the KEYS 61 has been ordered and is on its way.  Going to be interesting to review it.  I probably won’t have access to it much, might borrow it for a weekend or so, but yeah .. seems like its going to be a lot of fun.

j.
—
Jay Vaughan
ibisum at gmail.com