Inspiration for live video and lighting software

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Sun Jan 2 23:20:42 CET 2022

Hey Martin,

> Any others?

Yes, only for "others": have a backup system. I'm talking about my
experience at the Jean Michel Jarre concert in Paris in 1990, similar in
scope to what you're planning, although perhaps not in size.

Whilst playing –I think– Third Rendez-Vous "Laser Harp", he was actually
playing the Laser Harp, but it messed up, and after a while it was
replaced by a tape. It's been edited out in videos, and I can't remember
if I noticed it at the time, but it was on the tape that I recorded live
from radio. (That tape is most probably lost now, and even before it
bunched up badly.)

The Laser Harp is real –I played it a year prior, also in Paris– but
something went wrong that evening.

If possible, the backup system should not be able to fail for the same
reason as the primary system, for example an unexpected software
problem. It sounds like more work, and most probably is, but perhaps
it's possible to have a simple "tape" running the projections and
lighting, while you frantically attempt to fix the primary system.

> Oh, and happy new year to everybody!

And to you!

- Peter